Published on April 14th, 2011 | by CodCom
5 Ways to Make Modern Warfare 3 a Better Game
Modern Warfare 2 was, and still is, a great game to play. It may be haunted with “Noob Tubes” and overpowered weapons / killstreaks but it’s still fun to play. As fun as Modern Warfare 2 may be, it’s not a perfect game. Which means there is still room for improvement.
In this article I want to talk about some changes I would love to see implemented in Modern Warfare 3. Changes we’ve all talked about in different articles and commentaries. Changes most of us agree on that would make Modern Warfare 3 a better game than Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops.
While we don’t know what will and won’t happen in Modern Warfare 3, these are things I would like to see happen/change:
1. A stable connection! This has to be the #1 priority of the developers of Modern Warfare 3. It doesn’t matter how good your game is, if the connection with the game isn’t up to par, everyone playing the multiplayer mode will have a horrible experience. And a bad connection with the game is the worst experience you can have with a multiplayer / online game.
Modern Warfare 2 had it’s fair share of connection issues and I don’t think I have to mention the connection problems Black Ops is having (my rant about the connectivity issues). If the developers of Modern Warfare 3 get rid of the connection issues, or at least decrease it to a minimum, they’ll win back the hearts of many Call of Duty players.
2. Punish quitters, reward players. If a bad connection to the game is the most annoying aspect about a multiplayer game, players quitting to the lobby would be high on that list as well. It’s just not acceptable that the game of 12+ people gets ruined just because someone decides to go back to the lobby for whatever reason.
By introducing a “Matches Finished” statistic, be it visible or invisible to players, you can determine who can become the host of a game. Say, after some testing you figure that finishing 80% of your matches is percentage acceptable for a host. Once someone drops below the 80% “Matches Finished” statistic, he or she can’t be picked to become to host anymore. At least until he or she reaches the 80% mark again.
To go a step further, you could even go as far as picking the person with the highest “Matches Finished” percentage as the host EVERY time. People know what an advantage the host has and would work on their “Matches Finished” percentage just to be picked as the host. People not leaving the game and a stable host? That’s a win/win situation for everyone.
3. Think twice about implementing the Last Stand perk. I’m sure the majority of the community will agree with me when I say that we will do a “happy dance” when Last Stand is removed from the game.
I don’t know why the developers insist on including Last Stand as a perk. This perk is only used by a small portion of the players, yet it gets on the nerves of almost everyone. Removing Last Stand from the game would be a big improvement for Modern Warfare 3.
4. Balance the Knifing. People shouldn’t be able to kill someone just because of a “panic hit”. It should be more difficult to kill people with a knife. To solve this, you can make the knife a secondary weapon so people still can use it, but a “panic hit” wouldn’t be an issue here. Or you could keep it the way it is right now, but make knifing people a 2 hit kill rather than a 1 hit kill.
Additionally think about removing the Commando perk, or at least reducing the range increase you get with this perk. Having a huge lunge range doesn’t make any sense at all.
5. Balance explosives. One of the most annoying things in Modern Warfare 2 were the explosives. Especially the explosives from the Grenade Launcher. To solve this issue, you could reduce the damage explosives do. Or introduce a damage reducing perk, like Treyarch did with the Flack Jacket perk in Black Ops. Having the option to protect yourself against enemy explosives is something a lot of players would want.
Another way to tackle this problem is by preventing players from refilling their explosives. Think about “One Man Army” and “Scavenger”. If players have a limited amount of explosives, it doesn’t matter how much damage they do.
While these solutions may not be perfect, they do give a clear indication about what the problem is and how you could solve the problem.
I know I didn’t mention the elephant in the room, dedicated servers, because I don’t see this happening. Besides what is mentioned in this article, there is a lot the developers of Modern Warfare 3 can do to make the most of the game. What do you think the developers of Modern Warfare 3 should or shouldn’t do to make Modern Warfare 3 the game we want to be?